Blessed
Left: Saying goodbye at the airportLast night at 10:45, after I’d turned out the lights and closed my eyes, it hit me: these last three months have been incredible!
Since late September I’ve seen a good friend get married, ridden a train most of the way across the U.S., packed up my former life in tubs and boxes, and set out for a new life across the equator. I’ve done T’ai Chi on the beach and with my grandmother, heard my parents say they’re proud of me, and had conversations with my siblings and friends that I’ll think back on for years to come. And yet, how many hours have I spent during these months feeling consumed by the demands of the present and worrying about the future? How can I have been so blessed, yet so slow to perceive it?
Yesterday I wore the T-shirt my sister Laura made for me to wear to the U2 concert we went to as a family in October. Before I dropped off to sleep I put on my headphones and listened to the song whose lyrics she iron-transferred onto the back:
“You’re packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been—
a place that has to be believed to be seen…”
It was a good day.

5 Comments:
And we have been blessed by you as well. We continue to be proud. May you be blessed anew in this Advent and Christmas season.
Love, Mom and Dad
After a materialistic Christmas that has gotten out of hand,what might you say? Give up? ... Manan cancho colqui,mi huarma. The spelling is mine. Dad
So happy to hear you are doing well!
Blessings.
Dec.15th - The Christmas season has brought with it many challenges this year. I think of you and try to keep my perspective. Maybe it is a good lesson for Dylan and Sam... the season is not about "stuff". I have had moments of wanting so to easy their fears and worries away (along with mine) by being able to give them a more "american" Christmas. My heart is slow at healing. I am trying to find my way. I am happy to read you are doing well. :) Your perspective helps as I try to keep my head on straight through all the difficulty. I thank God for you. He never promised us EASY did He. But He has promised to never forsake us. I guess I am writing this as a reminder for you and me... He is with us through the good and bad. Learning to Trust is not an easy thing... but He is faithful.
You are in my thoughts and prayers...
I too feel blessed to know you. Would love to scrounge up an excuse to go to Bolivia...
Research? ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home