Confession time
Well, it’s confession time. Readers of this blog may have gotten the impression—because I may have given it to them—that my life here has been all about neat new experiences and philosophical reflection.
In reality, I think a typical twenty-four-hour day at this point is about fifteen minutes of philosophical reflection, seven hours’ sleep (interrupted by the neighbors’ barking dogs), two hours of enjoyable conversation with new friends and roommates—and fifteen hours and forty-five minutes of continual minor frustrations. I don’t understand what someone said (once again) and have to ask her to repeat herself (again). I try to say something I know very well how to say, but my tongue trips over the words—again. I realize I don’t understand something about how the libraries program works, and have to ask another dumb question. On my way home, some guy on the street thinks it would be original to shout out his two words of English (“hello” and “baby”) as I walk by. Again. I arrive hot and tired, and react with impatience or defensiveness to some innocuous question or kindly meant suggestion from one of my roommates. Again!
Of course, I’m exaggerating a little. But that’s the point: somehow, those trifling inconveniences and humiliations become the buzzing flies on a gorgeous summer evening: they seem insignificant when you look at the matter objectively, but loom large when you focus your attention on them.
The worst of it is, it’s such an ignoble struggle. I’d much rather be flexing my spiritual muscles against, say, Poverty, or Injustice, or Corruption. But apparently God thinks I have smaller fish to fry: the pettiness, unreasonableness, and inconstancy of my own character.
I’ve been starting every morning, since the new year, with a chapter from Nearer to the Heart of God, a collection of reflections by Christian mystics that my church household gave me before I left the U.S. The readings so far have been almost disconcertingly on target. Here’s part of today’s:
“Patience is a cheerful acceptance of frustration. A patient person does not complain about problems. Ordinary people always grumble about difficulties. They are looking for comfort in the wrong place if they try to find it in this world…
“It is not possible for you to demonstrate whether you are strong or weak, unless you are troubled when you are at peace. Many may seem to be patient when they are not being tested. But the slightest correction will provoke bitter wrath. Any resistance to their ideas and desires will enrage them…
“When you are tempted or troubled, remember what our Savior said: ‘Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.’ He did not say, ‘Pray so that you will not be tempted.’ It is good for us to be tempted. God will be with us in such times. He will deliver and sustain us.” (John Wycliffe, The Poor Caitiff, as paraphrased by Bernard Bangley)

6 Comments:
Anita-
happy new year...we all have a brand new chance to work on our weaknesses. i'm sure God will bless you with all the patience you require. all you need to do is ask and be receptive to His gifts. try to focus on the bigger picture and all the good you are doing from simply being down there. your everyday conversations are making a difference....people can see God's light shining from you...I guarantee it, I've always seen it even when I did not know you well.
you are always in my prayers, Anita. keep your head up and i'll talk to you soon (blog you soon).
thanks for all the updates, very interesting!
Amanda
p.s. I am almost halfway done with the pregnancy and everyone is healthy and happy up here.
Hey Anita,
It was great to get to meet you while we were visiting there. The cat calls? Well Anita, that's Bolivia. The heat and humidity? After a while it gets into your system. Our kids didn't complain once about the heat, they loved it.
And I like your attitude to doing what you can do, where you're at. During our 7 years in Bolivia with MCC I had to remind myself many a time to just take one day at a time, and be faithful. I believe that's what God called us to do, to be faithful.
Our 2 weeks were just an amazing experience! We were very blessed by all the friends we met and once again were reminded of all the relationships we had made during our years of service.
I'll try and get you a few different sites with news on Bolivia, only now I need to get back to work. Talk to you again soon and keep smiling, ok? Carl
Dear Anita,
We are in Akron for the MCC training. Thought a few times about the fact that you were here just a few months ago. I like Jessica am in awe of your prose.
With love,
Jodie
Hi Anita,
Based on what you have written, you might enjoy my friend's blog at http://spiritualsynergy.blogspot.com/
One thing we have been told by an expat here, that we found really helpful is to forget the western pnrase "seize the day" - it just doesn't work with developping world philosophy. They suggest "release the day" as being the way to survice as a Christian in these places - just let God take you forward day by day and accept that sometimes the diary entries won't all happen.
WE ARE NOT EXPERTS AT THIS YET ! IN FACT WE ARE VERY BAD AT THIS THO'
God Bless You,
Nigel & Rachel
Anita,
We too are sure you are a blessing; you are to us just through your writings. We are wondering how Bolivia is faring with the rains--there's not much in the news. We pray for you a lot.
Love,
Mom
Mom, thanks for your question about the rains. I'm going to try to answer it in a new blog entry today (February 8).
Anita
Post a Comment
<< Home